Apart from weed control, for the best possible results there are often many other site preparation activities that need to be undertaken before commencing revegetation, including:
• protection from and restriction of vehicle, pedestrian, and animal access;
• erosion protection and dust management;
• re-profiling of landforms;
• mulching, brushing, and placement of habitat logs;
• topsoil management;
• de-compaction of soil to promote plant development; and
• surface cultivation to prepare seed beds.
The extent to which each of these activities is required depends on site condition, location, history, and the proposed revegetation methodology. Many options exist, and the key is to find an appropriate balance of budget, timeframe, and outcome based on the constraints of each individual site.